Encampment is a sort-of BootCamp for the Civil Air Patrol, if you want to move up the ranks and fly you must attend at least once. Titus was a bit apprehensive about going but he wanted the rewards that come with checking it off his list, so he went. For the first time in many years it was held at Marine Corp. Air Base Cherry Point.
Not sure who was more worried about the weekend, Titus or I. They are not allowed to contact home for the entire week, so you have no idea how they are doing. Thankfully they did send link to a photo gallery each day, which I scoured to find a picture of him to try and ascertain how he was doing, but I rush ahead.
In preparation all I could do was make sure he had everything he needed so they couldn't pick on him about anything tangible. We spent weeks gathering supplies and a long time packing it just right. Drop off on Saturday went really quick. He left the car and I went to parent tent, next thing I knew they had fast tracked him onto a bus to enter the base (His uniform was perfect, he takes great pride in that and it saved him a dressing down other kids were getting before they were allowed on the buses).
Since we were all the way at the coast of North Carolina (for the first time since we moved here) Chris and I decided to make it an all day date adventure.
We drove to New Bern to tour Tyron Palace, the first governor's mansion in North Carolina (pre-revolution). This property had been on my bucket list for years and it did not disappoint. We toured the "palace", extensive gardens (ornamental and for cooking). Our ticket also included the right to tour other historic homes near-by. Our docents were all top notch and the town was so incredibly peaceful. We found the best restaurant to have lunch; rubens, rootbeer, banana pudding and chocolate desert. It was located on the river with a beautiful view. We instantly decided to take Titus back when we picked him up because we knew he'd be needing a really good big meal.
In the end all my worrying was fairly unnecessary. Titus did tell us quite a few kids quit by the end of the weekend but I saw him leading drill in the pictures posted on Sunday so I knew he'd found his groove. After the weekend things calmed down a knotch and they started working in some fun between the testing and drills. Titus earned his NRA marksmanship badge, played flag football, water balloon fights, STEM projects, launched rockets, and got to get up close and touch all kinds of aerial toys on base.
We showed up early for graduation at the parade grounds, and got front row seats. Titus was so locked in he walked right at us and didn't see us.
We caught up with him in the parking lot, to gather him and his stuff. He said he'd had a good time, his roommates were awesome, he was glad he went but he had no interest in going again.
We brought him a change of clothes and took him to our new fav restaurant to fill him up, before heading home so he could go straight to a dance with his brothers. So thankful for God's presence and blessing upon him all week.










No comments:
Post a Comment